- December 6th, 2012
- Ecommerce Design
We often get asked by existing and potential clients how best to develop their ecommerce website. For starters we must understand that a highly converting online shop is more than just a pretty design, in fact having an attractive frontage is only part of the solution. A well-considered user experience is paramount to the success of any e-tail/ecommerce design.
We pay particularly close attention to the checkout process because lets face it, that’s where the money changes hands!
Below are the key factors in creating and providing a great user-experience:
1) Clear and concise Calls-to-Action - The website visitor shouldn’t have to search around for what to do next.
2) Delivery costs made clear – Hidden or unclear delivery costs are one of the key reasons why website visitors abandon their shopping baskets and the checkout process.
3) Clear product information - Alongside appropriate imagery, your customers want to know the size, colour and quantity they’re ordering.
4) Total price is clear – As per the above delivery costs are crucial, but in addition customers need to know the total amount payable with no hidden costs such as VAT.
5) Secure shopping experience – Your customers need to be reassured that their transaction with you is secure and safe, otherwise they will likely abandon their basket.
6) Clear payment options – Customers are savvy and as such they should be given multiple payment options when making a purchase.
And last but not least, don’t force customers to register before paying. This is one of the biggest causes of people abandoning their basket and for the loss of sales.
We hope you find this brief article useful. If you’re online shop isn’t working for you why not get in touch and we’ll work with you to increase your sales and return on investment through exemplary ecommerce design.